Welcome to my first edition of Meatless Mondays. I decided to share a delicious recipe from The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.
2 cups peeled butternut squash, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
2 cups yellow onion, large dice
1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4 to 1/2-inch cubes
1 1/2 cups zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Fine sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Earth Balance butter
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon saffron threads
1 1/2 cups whole wheat couscous
2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Place the squash, onion, carrots, and zucchini on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper.
3. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning once with a spatula about midway through.
4. While the vegetables roast, bring the vegetable broth to a boil in a saucepan.
5. Remove the pan from the heat, and stir in the butter, remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper, cumin, saffron, and salt to taste.
6. Cover the pan and steep for 15 minutes.
7. Scrape the roasted vegetables and their juices into a large bowl, and add the couscous.
8. Bring the vegetable broth back to a boil, and pour over the couscous mixture all at once.
9. Cover tightly with a plate and allow to stand for 15 minutes.
10. Add the scallions, toss the couscous and vegetables with a fork, and serve.
Sweet Zen Life